As we are getting closer to the end of the 2020-21 regular season this week, Jokic continues to dominate the No. 1 rank in the NBA MVP ladder race. While Jokic wants to continues to play and get the MVP title under his belt, but Nuggets’ coach Michael Malone prefers Jokic to not play, he looks further than the current MVP title, he rather have a healthy Jokic for playoff and postseason.
As the season coming to a close this week, NBA will move on to the play-in tournament which will take play next week from May 18-21. The regular NBA Playoffs will follow afterward on May 22 and end on July 22.
Below are the latest Top 5 NBA MVP Ladder Race
1. Nikola Jokic, Denver Nuggets
- No. 1 on Last Week’s Ranking
- 2020-21 Stat Per Game: 70 G, 26.5 PTS, 10.9 TRB, 8.4 AST, 56.6% FG%, 49.3% FG3%
Jokic had dominated the No. 1 spot on the NBA MVP ladder despite numerous injuries on the Nuggets team. Jokic has carried the team night in and night out since the All-Stars weekend. They’re currently with the most winning streak in the 2020-21 season. For the last 5 games Jokic played, he scored a total of 146 points, 35 assists, and 53 rebounds. In his most recent game against Minnesota Timberwolves, he led the Nuggets to win over Timberwolves in a 114-103. He dominated the board with 14 total rebounds and 31 points for the night.
2. Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers
- No. 2 on Last Week’s Ranking
- 2020-21 Stat Per Game: Game: 50 G, 28.8 PTS, 10.9 TRB, 2.9 AST, 51.5% FG%, 37.3% FG3%
Embiid was out of the top 5 after his injury, but he came back strong after missing 10 games due to injury. He has been steady takes the No. 2 spots due to his top performance. On May 7, 2021, he led the 76ers to win over New Orleans Pelicans, Embiid dominated the board with 13 total rebounds and 37 points. Due to his recent non-covid related illness, he has missed May 11, and return to play the next game with the worse stats (6 points and 2 rebounds). He is struggling to get back top performance, and Embiid most likely won’t be able to take Jokic’s spot with two games left in the regular season.
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks
- No. 3 on Last Week’s Ranking
- 2020-21 Stat Per Game: Game: 59 G, 28.4 PTS, 11.0 TRB, 5.9 AST, 57% FG%, 30.3% FG3%
Giannis has secure the 3rd spot on the MVP ladder race for two weeks and he had a season-high 49 points against Brooklyn Nets on May 2, 2021. He led the team to defeat the Nets in a 114-117. Giannis led the Bucks to victory against Indiana Pacers on May 13, 2021. He
4. Luka Doncic, Dallas Mavericks
- No. 5 Last Week’s Ranking
- 2020-21 Stat Per Game: Game: 64 G, 28.0 PTS, 8.0 TRB, 8.6 AST, 48.1% FG%, 35.5% FG3%
Luka’s third season of the career has been very steady with an average of 28 points per game. He led the Mavericks to dominate the New Orleans Pelicans on May 12, 2021 (107-127, and Luka scored 33 points, 8 assists, and 8 rebounds in the game.
5. Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors
- No. 7 Last Week’s Ranking
- 2020-21 Stat Per Game: Game: 62 G, 31.8 PTS, 5.5 TRB, 5.7 AST, 48.3% FG%, 42.1% FG3%
Curry has climbed up from the No. 7 spots from last week. Next week, Curry will play against LeBron James in the play-in tournament to determine the winner for the 7th seed. There is a chance that the Warriors will miss this year’s playoff if they lose two games during the play-in tournament.
6. Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers
7. Chris Paul, Phoenix Suns
8. Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
9. Julius Randle, New York Knicks
10. Devin Booker, Phoenix Suns